FinanceBase is personal & small business finance software that includes, among others, an Accounts manager, Transactions management and a Lifetime Finances planner. It is easy to use and provides a range of personalization not normally found in this type of software. FinanceBase is conveniently provided in products in a hierarchy and priced accordingly.
Click on any item to go directly to it.
Click on any thumbnail image to enlarge it in an overlay popup. Click anywhere to close the overlay.
FinanceBase products are available and fully operational (except Lifetime Finances) in the Demo (with a 31-day trial period). Only when ordering do you have to decide which product to order. At any time, you can upgrade to the next product. Pricing is given on the Products Download page and on the Order page. To download FinanceBase, go to the Products Download page.
Each of the products summarized below have the features and capabilities given in this post, plus those unique to them. Click on the bold text to open the post for the product.
- FinanceBase-Accounts: Accounts is included in all of the other products listed below. It is provided as a standalone product for those people that only need to manage their accounts and do not want all of the other capabilities. It is priced competitively.
- FinanceBase-Lifetime Finances: Lifetime Finances includes Accounts and can be included in all of the other products listed below. It is provided as a standalone product for those people that only want to determine how their assets and income will match their expenditures (including income taxes) over their lifetime. It has many more features and capabilities than a standard retirement calculator.
- FinanceBase-Finances: The Finances product includes Accounts and can include Lifetime Finances, if purchased. It uses Transactions which are assigned to user-defined categories and accounts. Searching and sorting are just two of the many customizations that can be done. Data can be imported from other applications and financial institutions.
- FinanceBase-Taxes: The Taxes product adds to Finances the features needed for a small or at-home-business that must file the federal business income tax form. Keep track of Property, Vehicles, Home Expenses and Entertainment for the year and use Transaction categories to easily fill in the form.
- Finances-Quotes: The Quotes product adds to Taxes the features for recording all activities of a financial nature for any business that provides quotes to customers and uses the quotes to manage part of the business.
- FinanceBase-Daycare: The Daycare product adds to Taxes the features for recording all activities of a financial nature for an at-home Daycare business. Return to Contents
The features and capabilities given below are provided in all products. They are listed here so that they do not have to be repeated in each product description.
- • No-clutter Interface Only open the windows needed.
- • Menu Interface No need to look for what you need as everything is on menus. Select the item desired to open a window.
- • Auto Open of Windows at Login for windows that you want open when logging in.
- • Many Windows can be Opened Not only can many different windows be opened, there can also be more than one window of the same type.
- • ToolBar Many of the capabilities are provided by a ToolBar that changes depending in the frontmost window.
Shortcuts & Time Savers
- • Search and Sort User-defined Searches and Sorts can be defined for each menu item that opens a List window. A default can be set for each so that, for example, Transactions for the past month can be shown, or only active Accounts are listed.
- • Data Entry Shortcuts For example, when an existing Transaction Description is used, all previous defaults can be loaded into a new Transaction record to reduce entry time.
- • Data Entry Accuracy Many fields permit the entry of only part of the data and will automatically substitute the remainder of the text. If there are more than one choice, a window opens were the item wanted can be selected. This reduces the possibility of entering slight differences in the text.
- • Keyboard Shortcuts can be activated at any time and modified to suit the user.
- • Easy-to-Customize FinanceBase can be customized in a variety of ways. For example, use Preferences to set defaults for new records, keep presenting new records, navigate between records, set window colors, remember window positions.
- • Login A login Code and Password is used to protect access to the data. Also, the License Document can be removed to deny access. In the Demo, all products and accesses are available and are only restricted when a license is ordered.
- • Backup & Restore Automatic scheduling of timed backups by hour, day or month to a different disk, if desired, can be easily set. Restoring after a failure is easy to do.
- • Deleting Records Records cannot be accidentally deleted as they are first set for removal and then deleted using a System Admin action.
- • Logs There are three logs that can be used to monitor activity and changes made to the data: 1) Changes – field level changes to data, 2) Records – record level changes, 3) Use – Login & Logout, Process Start & End, Activity Details.
Help & Support
- • User Manual A complete manual describes each function and window, with pictures.
- • Context-Sensitive Help All windows and menus have a help item. These are the same as the manual, less the pictures.
- • Field Descriptions When an input window is open, each of the fields used can be shown in a separate window.
- • Email Support Use the Email form on the Contact page to ask questions and make suggestions.
Working with the Outside
- • Printing Almost all windows can be printed as they are shown, with extra formats for many windows.
- • Exporting Exporting to a text file of almost all windows is provided. Your data is never trapped in any of the products.
- • Importing Many products support importing data to create records.
- • Macs and/or Windows Select your platform when you download.
- • Unlimited Data Built on the powerful and well-respected 4D database software which can handle large amounts of data. Return to Contents
The ToolBar provides access to many of the each of the products’ functions, such as printing, exporting, adding new records. It is a floating window that, be default, appears after login at the top of the screen. The ToolBar icons change as the frontmost window changes as indicated below:
- Common to All Windows – ToolBar Orientation, Print Options, Help, Arrange, Windows that are open, Close Window, Cancel, Accept.
- List Windows – Print, Change Log, Search Records, Sort Records, Export, Open Selected Record, Open New Records, Duplicate, Remove, Change Owner.
- Input Windows – Print, Change Log, First, Previous, Go To, Next, Last
- Other Windows – Print, Export
The File menu is the first menu on the left. It is available with all products. (Each product then adds a menu to the right of the File menu.) The menu items are in alphabetic order and grouped into areas to make it easier to see what items are related. All but the first two and last items have their own more detailed description.
Change Access – If more that one access is provided, a window opens where a different access can be selected from a drop-down menu. If there is only one access the menu item is disabled.
Change Password – If desired, the password can be changed at any time. There is a System Admin parameter for forcing a change after a fixed time interval.
Help – Selecting this item opens a Help window containing the help for whatever window is active (the frontmost window). A pre-defined, non-changeable keyboard shortcut is provided.
Help Contents – This opens a window that contains, by default, a list of all of the Help Titles available for the access, sorted by the Title. The ToolBar can be used to modify the search and change the sort if desired.
Help Fields – A window opens in the lower right of the screen showing all of the tables available for the access. Selecting a table shows the fields in the table. Selecting a field provides a description and the field attributes. If Help Fields is activated from an input window, and a field is selected, the description and attributes are automatically selected.
Preferences – This shows all of the preferences for the access. Preferences provided include, for example, those that make data entry faster, change the window colors, set the application startup and shutdown behaviour. Each Preference has its own description which can be seen by clicking on the Help icon on the Preferences window when the item has been selected from the preferences list.
Shortcuts – Keyboard shortcuts are provided for almost all menu items and can be turned on or off by clicking on the Shortcuts item on the File menu or using the pre-defined keyboard shortcut. When Shortcuts are active all menu items that have shortcuts assigned will have the shortcut appended. Shortcuts provide a keyboard alternative to most ToolBar functions and to using the mouse to select menu items.
Shortcuts Available – This menu item either activates or deactivates a floating window that appears in the lower left of the screen. The window shows what shortcuts are active for the frontmost window. This is provided as it is sometimes confusing what shortcuts are available. (The picture shows the Mac OS Modifiers, which are replaced with Windows Modifiers for the Windows platform.)
Shortcuts Change – This menu item opens a window that shows all of the keyboard shortcuts that can and have been set, either by the user or as provided with the application. Use this menu item to change the default shortcuts, to add shortcuts to menu items that do not have one, or to change shortcuts previously set.
ToolBar – This either activates or deactivates the ToolBar. The ToolBar is a floating window that always opens just below the menu bar. It contains a number of icons, some with drop-down menus that change depending upon what window is frontmost. The ToolBar is the only way to access many of the functions provided in the application, such as user-defined searches and sorts
Quit FinanceBase – This is the only way to quit the application, other than shutting down the computer (which should always be avoided as there is a chance that data will be lost or that data will be corrupted). When quitting and a window is open, a confirmation is requested as any data not saved in a window will be lost if the quit is executed. Before quitting the application will execute any background tasks that have either not been run yet or have been delayed until quitting. Return to Contents
System Administration is the management of the system-wide aspects of the operation of the application. This is provided by the System Admin menu which covers the setting of system-wide parameters, adding and deleting users, updating the application, evaluating the use of the application and for archiving database records. It also includes setting an automatic backup at specified times.
The System Admin menu is available for all products by either logging in as the System Admin or using the File menu’s Change Access if login was with a different access.
Backup – To ensure that data is not lost due to a disk failure or corruption of the data file (for example, due to a power outage), clicking on this menu item opens a window where parameters can be set for when an automatic backup will take place and the location of the files involved. It is best to use a second disk for these files.
Login Analysis – If the UseLog is turned on and set to capture Login and Logout, the window opened by selecting the Login Analysis menu item will show how many users were connected to the application over a user-defined interval. For a server based application this window also shows Refused and Over-capacity logins which are useful in planning for capacity upgrades. Further analysis can be done by examining the UseLogs.
Show Concurrent Users – Users that are actually using (i.e. connected to) the application are indicated when the Show Concurrent Users menu item is selected. For standalone single-user this will only show the license holder.
System Parameters – When selected, this menu item opens a window where all of the system-wide parameters are presented. Clicking on any one will show the changes that can be made. Each parameter has its own help which can be opened from the Help icon on the System Parameters window.
Users And Access – This opens a window where users can be added or changes made to existing users. It is via this window that users are given access to those included in the license. For standalone single-user this will only show the license holder. Return to Contents