The Quotes product of the FinanceBase application includes Finances and Taxes. It is an industry specific product that provides a means of recording all activities of a financial nature for any business that provides quotes to customers and uses the quotes to manage part of the business. It uses Transactions to record expenditures and income and Accounts to record assets and liabilities. Quotes can be prepared using a spread-sheet like capability in a Job record and used as the basis for a quote document. The Job Name is used in Transactions so that the quote can be compared to the actual expenditures and income. These are then used to determine the actual profit.
Explore the features described below and try as a Demo for 31 days. If it suits your needs, order a License for (add Lifetime Finances for a total of .
Click on any image to enlarge it in an overlay popup. Click anywhere to close the overlay.
As with all FinanceBase products, the features and capabilities given in FinanceBase – Overview are available. The specific features to FinanceBase-Quotes are discussed in detail in the sections below. As Quotes also includes Finances, Accounts and Taxes, please click on the links to view these features and capabilities as well.
- • Jobs Each Quote starts with entering a Job.
- • Plans Each Job has information about the customer and dates for the quote.
- • Preparing the Quote Activities and material are entered using a spread-sheet like capability.
- • Price Using the expenses and expected earning entered in the spread-sheet, the price is automatically determined.
- • Printing The quote can be printed and forwarded to the customer.
- • Making Purchases Easier Materials identified in the Quote can be printed to help in the purchases.
- • Transactions Expenses and income are entered into Transactions for the Job.
- • Job Actuals As the work progresses and when completed, the Job record’s actuals ( as obtained form the Transactions) can be easily updated to show the profit.
- • Analysis The Job record compares the quoted values to the actuals for expenses, profit and activity.
- • Jobs List The list of Jobs can be sorted on a number of fields, such as expected start date, completed date, customer.
- • Job Scheduling The Start Date of Jobs can be changed and then sorted in the list to see the schedule.
- • Business Profit All Jobs can be graphed between user-defined dates to show the daily and cumulative profit.
- • Job Items A separate table is kept for all material used in Jobs.
- • Job Item Reuse Each item previously used can be entered into a quote by selecting from a list to reduce data entry to increase accuracy.
- • Linked Items Items can be linked to each other to reduce the amount of data entry.
- • Updating Items Items can be updated at any time with the latest cost to make future quotes more accurate.
- • Income Tax Business Forms A requirement for all businesses is to complete an income tax return. The business form can be generated from the Transactions for the business as described in FinanceBase-Taxes.
- • GST/HST Return For Canadian businesses, the GST/HST Return has to be filled either monthly or quarterly. This can be generated from the Transaction records for the business as described in FinanceBase-Taxes.
Jobs – Clicking on this opens a Jobs-List window that shows existing Job records. New records can be created using the ToolBar. The List window includes the Customer, Description of the Job, and for the Quote the Price, Expenses, Earnings as a total and per day, and Start and End dates. To see how the Quote compares to the Actuals, the actual Income, Expenses, Profit and Start and End dates are shown. If it is a Canadian business the GST/HST is shown. The Input window is presented below as it has many pages.
Jobs Analysis – This window summarizes the total profit and profit per day for Jobs between specific dates in two graphs and a table. These graphs provide an important overview of the past and future profitability of the business. One graph shows the actual Profit and future Earnings per day and the Average Profit+Earnings between the dates. The other graph shows the cumulated actual Profit and future Earnings. The second page is a listing of the days used in the graphs and includes the Job Names.
Job Items – Clicking on Job Items on the Quotes menu opens a window that permits the searching of previously entered Job Item records or, if a default has been set, a list of records. Job Item records can be used when preparing a quote for a Job. Actual expenses for the Job can then be saved as Job Item records. The Job Items-Input window is shown below.
Jobs Items Change Group – This menu item will only operate when a Job Items List window is open and some records are selected. The records selected will have the Group field changed to whatever is typed into the Request window..
Jobs Items Update Counts – Clicking on this menu item, will update a number of fields in each Job Item record. While some of these fields are updated automatically when a Job Item record is opened or updated from a Job record, they are not updated when a Job Item is used in a Job. Run this menu item on a regular basis whenever Jobs have been entered that use Job Items.
The Jobs-Input window is where a Job is entered. There are 5 pages which are described in detail in the User Manual that is available when FinanceBase is downloaded. The screenshots below are for each page:
Summary Page – The Job Information area on this page is to be filled in with the company doing the work, the Job Name and a Description. The Customer area is also to be filled in withe Customer Name, Address and Phone. Once a Quote is prepared using the Quotes page, the amount fields in the Quotes area are automatically filled in. The dates are entered after agreement the customer. The Actuals are completed when the Job is ongoing and as Transactions are entered.
Quote Page – This page contains a spreadsheet-like array where the details of the work to be done can be entered. Items to be bought are entered and costed and organized by area and activity. This also includes labour items. Totals are updated as each item is enter and automatically transferred to the Summary page. As items are purchased and used, their costs can be entered into the Actuals area. This page is used to print the materials as a shopping as shown below.
Actuals Page – When the Load Transactions button at the top of the page is clicked, all of the Transaction records that have been assigned a Job Name equal to that of the job are shown in the list of records below the drop-down menu. The results are automatically transferred to the Summary page. When the Job record is open later, any new Transaction records are found and this page is updated as is the Summary page.
Analysis Page – This page provide an analysis of the quote versus actuals to help in evaluating how well a job was defined and executed. This is invaluable in ensuring the profitability of the business. Each of the areas is automatically updated using data from the other pages.
Quotation Page – This page is divided into two halves. The left side of the page is the Quotation that will be printed, with a few exceptions. The right side of the page contains the buttons and one array that are used to fill the left side. The Quotation has a standard format with ten enterable variables and a logo that can be customized for the business and the customer. The description of the Quotation pagan the User Manual is broken into six areas that span both halves of the page: Save Defaults and Print, Header, Dates and Customer Information, Submit Array, Payments, and Acceptance. Click on the screenshot to view it in a larger size to see how it is arranged. When the Print Quotation button is clicked, the following is printed. To preview it, on the ToolBar, click on the second icon (Print Options) and select Print Preview.
Spec Page – Use the variables to record what exactly is being done on the Job and add it to the Quotation page and have it signed by the Customer. The activities can be transferred to this page. As the variables are enterable, record anything that ensures that the customer knows what is being provided. If there are changes later, they can be included in the Quote as an Add-on which will appear on the summary page. The Spec page can be modified and resigned. The printed page would be similar to the screenshot below.